“The building had several fires in the three years we lived here. During one where the whole building was evacuated, the fire department said the apartment complex would be contacting everyone to let us know what was going on and when it was safe to return. They never did. They also constantly try to blame us for trash in the common areas that aren’t ours and leave threatening letters on our door demanding that we deal with it. Recently they blamed us for leaving trash by the compactor but never gave us a notice that we owed any money. We received an email with no information telling us we were overdue to pay and that we needed to give them an unspecified amount of money. When you try to clarify and ask questions about any of this, they will blatantly ignore you. They also do SEVERAL inspections a year and did not follow any covid precautions when entering resident units during the outbreak.”
"We moved into 463 Maxwell Street KNOWING that we should have gotten a lease BECAUSE of things like this, but we were 19 and anxious to move close to UK... something everyone who moves in to places like that are thinking... and BOY did we learn our lesson. Y'ALL GET A FORMAL LEASE!!! Because of this you might or might not want to post my review, but I know he has rented to others when we moved out. Same deal, no lease. Our landlord was furloughed at one point and lived in the attic while we were there. When our roommate got fleas, the entire house had to be bug bombed multiple times, a cost we paid for. In the process of washing everything we owned, the dryer (from the late 60s) gave out and our landlord told us to hang the clothes on the line out back.... as if the fleas weren't also outside... on east maxwell... with an unfenced backyard... Then in the winter, one of the pipes must have burst under the house in the crawl space with a dirt floor. Because none of the stuff down there was ours, and that there wasn't an easy way to get down there, we didn't notice anything happened until Summer when the house started smelling foul. Our landlord asked us to fix it ourselves... the basement was full of mold and water and likely sewage. The toilet on multiple occasions would break, and the first time we noticed, it was being held together by A TACK and AN ERASER to make it plunge... a $20 kit from walmart fixed it, something we also paid for. The rest of the toilet was leaking water into the grout in the bathroom (I think this is the pipe that burst (GROSS)). The stove (probably from the 1900's) leaks Carbon Monoxide into the house, something my room mate's mom tested for. I hope he replaced that thing. Lastly, and the part that salted the wound, is that while we gave (27 days so I get that it was under a month) notice, and after our landlord came back to the house, AFTER someone had already moved in (so there was no formal look through) he accused us of stealing forks and cups and a bookshelf? (none of which we did.) He threatened to sue us in small claims court, but as he had no lease and we DIDN'T, I think he realized there was not a case. I love this site, and BEWARE OF PEOPLE WHO RENT WITHOUT LEASES."
"Overall, this place is decent. They were a little over the top with the "threatening" letters (people not picking up their pet waste, having stuff on their balcony, all the way down to having single broken window blinds) that were sent out to the entire building/complex. Lots of annoying small hidden fees (had to pay for a gym access card, pool band, etc), and the mail system was pretty awful (they say they are checked in/signed for, but really you just walk in and take a package off the shelf, so in theory anyone could take anything- I never signed for a single one). The apartment itself was in good shape, never had pest problems or anything, and the community was pretty quiet/safe. I had a few maintenance problems which was hard to get ahold of someone (they have no contact/ emergency line after hours), but once I was able to submit a request it was dealt with quickly. Overall I would recommend it as it was a good value for the rent price."